11.3.1 Substantive CCO services and activities
Auckland Transport (AT) was established as a statutory entity , a fact that restricts the level of change the council can make to its structure without a change to the legislation. AT’s purpose is “to contribute to an efficient, effective and safe Auckland land transport system in the public interest” . AT operates under the Local Government (Auckland Council) Act 2009 , and is also subject to the Land Transport Management Act.
- Eke Panuku Development Auckland Limited (Eke Panuku) was established by council resolution in 2015. Eke Panuku is an amalgamation of two former council CCOs - Auckland Council Property Ltd and Auckland Waterfront Development Agency. Eke Panuku is the urban regeneration agency for Auckland Council and has a dual purpose to:
- redevelop urban areas through its priority location programmes and other council group programmes.
- manage the council’s non-service property and provide property-related services to the council group.
- Watercare Services Ltd provides integrated water and wastewater services to Auckland. Watercare is governed by the Local Government (Auckland Council) Act 2009 . and must manage its operations efficiently, with a view to keeping the costs of water and wastewater supply at minimum levels while maintaining the assets’ long-term integrity . Watercare is prevented from paying a dividend or distributing any surplus to the council as owner .
- Tātaki Auckland Unlimited Ltd was established in 2020 through the merger of earlier CCOs Auckland Tourism and Economic Development Limited (ATEED) and Regional Facilities Auckland Limited (RFAL), following recommendations from an independent review of council-controlled organisations. Auckland Unlimited is New Zealand’s largest producer of cultural, entertainment, sporting and wildlife experiences and the largest regional economic development agency in the country committed to delivering outcomes that meet its purpose of ‘enriching cultural and economic life in Tāmaki Makaurau'.